We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Phalcon for production

Hello.

I have a question. Can I use phalcon (v2.0.11) in the production on php 5.6? I mean, does it have any serious bugs or security holes?

2.0.11 is last stable release so it should be your production release. When 2.1 comes out I will recommend to use this version because it is announced as LTS.

2.0.11 has currently bug with macro which is fixed in 2.0.x repo.

Does anybody use phalcon in production? And what companies use phalcon?

I'm using phalcon in production. The biggest company i know to use phalcon is g2a.

www.g2a.com?

edited May '16

Yes. But not whole site. They using many technologies depends on case. But as i know they are using phalcon in some part.

At least polish ceo(beacause it's polish project) told that on some php meeting in poland.

edited May '16

What do you think it really can be used in production? You said that you use it. The server you have ubuntu, php 5.6? and builds it from source? and what is the size?

Yes, ubuntu, php 5.6 and builded from source. Some CRM system with frontend for clients. No problem at all.

edited May '16

and what is the size of ext? can you give a link to the site?

I've use phalcon in production. phalcon's performance is great and low resouce load my website concurrent about 18k online

which version are you using?

What you mean size of ext ? It's builded in php, not zephir :D

https://www.grupaautowimar.pl

It's Angular + Phalcon, pretty easy crm system to manage dealerships, cars etc

edited May '16

@xeleniumz, Please write the name of your site

size of extension phalcon

edited May '16

But most of things on the site happens in admin panel, which i cant share of course :D But i can share link to demo though.

4723 KiB for me.

www.grupaautowimar.pl, your site is fast

edited May '16

It will be even faster after i will update project to php 7 and phalcon to 2.1.x, but im not sure beacause im using volt in few places and not sure if vars are working fine yet.

Also i would need to change validation in models :x

Yes, I'm waiting php7 too. I do not use a volt. It is better to use the normal php

What ? No, volt is great :D Like a twig which i like too very much.

Why? It is better to use the normal php, then it can be ported to any other framework

edited May '16

You can use volt in any framework too. Also twig and volt syntax is VERY similar so ten will be no problem even with changing volt to twig.

Cool. I did not know it

Which hosting do you use? azure

Regarding your question about Phalcon compiled extension size - it's around 4.5 MB (phalcon.so binary). But you should be aware that .so extensions are loaded only once - during application server startup. Later on, all the code is served directly from RAM. And regarding version - you can run 2.0.11 or even .10 if you really need that Volt macro thing (you said you don't use Volt, so it doesn't matter for you).

I can point out that I'm using Phalcon from 2.0.9 to 2.0.11 in production. PHP version vary from 5.5.9 to 5.6.20, depending on distro (Debian/GNU Linux is primary distro, and Ubuntu LTS secondary). One thing to add - I'm not using any Apache, exclusevly Nginx with PHP-FPM. That gives additional performance gain.

Some polish hosting homecloud.pl(vps with 4gbs of memory and 2 cores) but i would definitely switch to digitalocean.

why you don't use i18n?

edited May '16

Beacause site wasn't built for multi-translation. It was built only for polish users and it will be never extended further.

There just wasn't anything about i18n in project architecutre so that's why i don't use it :D

@stamster could you give a link?

@dan We use phalcon 2 years in production for many projects. From Phalcon 1.3.0 to 2.0.10 always with PHP 5.6 with Apache or nginx on backend. From small website to news portal (historical max was 750k hits in one day on dedicated server FreeBSD, PHP 5.6, Phalcon 1.3.1). And we have not any problem with stability of Phalcon

@dan I use phalcon 2.0.9 my website is a frontend web api working with network gateway router for authentication user to the internet . this is my cacti graph report online users. Thanks phalcon team for the great framework