We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Phalcon 2.1.0 is OK ?

Hi,

I installed ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my server then I have PHP 7 now. Can I use Phalcon 2.1.0 RC1 ? I want to know if this version is stable enought build a new Phalcon project.

Thanks.

edited Jul '16

https://github.com/phalcon/cphalcon/labels/PHP%207

Basically - if you will disable opcache(only if you need to use mysql + bind + limit), you are not using postgresql(there are random segfaults when using it) and you don't use macros in views you are fine to go.

Though macros issue is easy to fix and should be fixed soon the rest of those(like bind + limit in mysql with opcache / postgresql are pretty hard and currently it's unkown why there are seg faults and problems with them).

Basically phalcon-2.1.x is design for php7 support. Do not hurry to use phalcon 2.1.x for production use. As , still php7 is not stable enough to use for production use. They are introducing php 7.1.x which is currently in beta release. You can use phalcon 2.0.x to build your new app for production and install phalcon 2.1.x with php7 for testing purpose only because same app build in 2.0.x with php5.6 can also work with phalcon 2.1.x with php7. In future when phalcon release it's stable version, you can easily migrate from older version to newer version. i am also doing this tactic with ubuntu16.04, with nginx with ( php5.6-fpm + phalcon2.0.x ) plus ( php7.0-fpm + phlacon2.1.x )

Php 7 as self is stable for production. Im using php 7 with symfony 2 on production without any problem.

edited Jul '16

Php 7 as self is stable for production. Im using php 7 with symfony 2 on production without any problem.

Yes indeed php7.0 is stable, but not stable enough like php5.6, there are always more to improve or fix bugs in php7.0 version because php7.0 just recently launch.

edited Jul '16

Yes indeed php7.0 is stable, but not stable enough like php5.6, there are always more to improve or fix bugs in php7.0 version because php7.0 just recently launch.

PHP 7.0 didn't recently launch. It's there from 8 months and it's stable enough as php 5.6

edited Jul '16

Thank you all for your anwsers. If I disable the opcache to use mysql bind and limite what is the impact on my project ?

And I see it's possible to downgrade php 7 to php 5.6 on Ubuntu 16.04 but it is good to do that ?

edited Jul '16

Phalcon on php 7 is only slightly faster(something like 10-30% depends what you are doing). The most boost perf gain will be all resultset related stuff like loops etc which perf was greatly improved in php 7. But since phalcon already works on C code the perf gains still be much slower, but still some. But other then this shouldn't be a a problem. As i posted you can find issue on github with combination of opcache + limit + bind - basically after one query another queries can't be executed if you are using bind+limit+opcache. Disabled opcache will slow down your application.

Yes I seen that. It's great ! :D