We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Nested Models relationships

Hi,

Has anyone ever dealt with "nested" models and if so how do you go about it?

Consider that I have the following 3 models

User Project ProjectUser

Now "User" is just a user of the application. They come from a 3rd party login, so although there is a "User" model, there isn't actually a database table for it.

"Project" is basically what it says on the tin. It's a table in the database that might hold info about a project such as a title an id and an end_date

The "ProjectUser" table holds relationships between a "User"->id and a "Project"->id again this is a physical table in the database

Now I know in my "User" model in the initialize method I can define a relationship of $this->hasMany("uid", "ProjectUser", "uid", NULL);

and then calling User->ProjectUser returns me everything I need. However the end game here would actually be to get all the "Project" models that a User is associated via ProjectUser. I know I could loop through each User->ProjectUser to get the Project->id but I wondered if there is a simpler method of doing this by defining relationships? Or should I just drop back to phql? Or is my model structure wrong here?

I would be interested in any opinions

Thanks

Accepted
answer

I managed to figure this one out. I needed a many-to-many relationship such as

$this->hasManyToMany( "uid", "ProjectUser", "uid", "project_id", "Project", "project_id" );