We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Phalcon Monthly Funding Campaign

This is awesome, at my company MCTekK we depend heavily on phalcon so we will be adding fund starting january 1

First goal reach 250 donate ;) on to the next one

edited Jan '17

I fully support the initiative and would like to contribute.

But what happens if you do NOT reach the $2000/mo goal - will I still be donating monthly and how would not reaching the goal affect ongoing work?

Cheers!

edited Jan '17

@temuri416 The money is cumulative and once billed it can be saved for a later date. It can take a while to corral all of the money together and any earnings in the short term are not wasted. There are various inflection points such as 2 months of billing at 1/2 of the first funding level adds up to one part-time month and additionally in the meantime less skilled (not with deep C, PHP, Zend engine skills) short term assistance can be hired to do work on .zep files. If you are unsure then I urge you to put in an amount of money now that you feel that you can commit to for many months since the simple availability and projection of funds will enable many good things.

edited Jan '17

Just realised you have a Patreon account after I've been using Phalcon for almost 6 months - my bad!

I will be pledging some money later today :)

It is unclear where the money goes to. Does it go to Andres or does it go to someone like Wojciech?

That nebulous detail alone makes me hesitatnt to contribute.

Additionally - Does it really require money to do a task like "Phalcon promotion in social media " or "Documentation enhancements/rewrite"

It may be more prudent to say 'We need money solely to get Phalcon compiling on 7.1 - X dollars a month means that Andres himself will realize this goal'

As a long term user I must say I support the project but I'm skeptical in how this is being handled.

edited Feb '17

Yea it's good idea, there should be some summary quarterly i think what happens with this money, what is done with it, and if nothing what will be done with it. Well phalcon promotion in social media - i can understand it as just buy some adverts maybe?

Hey all

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes one can easily argue that "Phalcon promotion on social media" doen't really require thousands of dollars to be achieved. Additionally one could also argue that the documentation enhancements/rewrite falls into the same category.

Although both those tasks do require time to be completed, there are part of our goals for Q1 so that is why they were all mentioned in the relevant posts here, blog and Patreon.

As Wojciech mentioned, the intent is indeed to be as transparent as possible, and offer a summary of how much money was collected and where it was spent.

Right now, the only payout that came out of Patreon was $600, to Andres, for the sole purpose of getting Phalcon ready for PHP 7.1. Work is already underway but it is a significant amount of work, since we have to first inspect the PHP 7.1 code and understand all the changes made before we can apply necessary alterations to Zephir and thus make Phalcon work with 7.1.

I am happy to provide monthly blog posts/reports for the progress but I personally think that it might be an overkill. I would again personally vote for quarterly ones, however if the community wants a shorter frequence I will do so.

Let us know guys and gals.

Frequent updates would be handy, but unsure on how frequent it needs to be. Perhaps every month or so, I'm unsure. Thanks for the information also :)

Hey all

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes one can easily argue that "Phalcon promotion on social media" doen't really require thousands of dollars to be achieved. Additionally one could also argue that the documentation enhancements/rewrite falls into the same category.

Although both those tasks do require time to be completed, there are part of our goals for Q1 so that is why they were all mentioned in the relevant posts here, blog and Patreon.

As Wojciech mentioned, the intent is indeed to be as transparent as possible, and offer a summary of how much money was collected and where it was spent.

Right now, the only payout that came out of Patreon was $600, to Andres, for the sole purpose of getting Phalcon ready for PHP 7.1. Work is already underway but it is a significant amount of work, since we have to first inspect the PHP 7.1 code and understand all the changes made before we can apply necessary alterations to Zephir and thus make Phalcon work with 7.1.

I am happy to provide monthly blog posts/reports for the progress but I personally think that it might be an overkill. I would again personally vote for quarterly ones, however if the community wants a shorter frequence I will do so.

Let us know guys and gals.

I love this framework, and glad to put in a small monthy payment to keep it going.

Done! C'mon guys, let's support this amazing project.

edited Mar '17

Please add a links to funding at the topic : https://www.patreon.com/phalcon and https://pledgie.com/campaigns/27405

Or this one https://phalcon.io/sponsors

Thanks. That was an oversight when the text was updated from the campaign page.

Just read the new blog post! Great to see the switch to OC :) I will be setting up my account to donate to you guys tonight - thanks for providing a transparent platform such as OC :)

https://opencollective.com/phalcon

Have you thought about https://opencollective.com/?

This only works with/via credit card? I cant find other payment options

Have you thought about https://opencollective.com/?

This only works with/via credit card? I cant find other payment options

Pretty sure you can use PayPal also :)

Hi,

I think you should try to monetize on the framework better in general in order to properly and seriously fund future work. Any project with a commercial side usually does infinitely better than those that do not. You could offer an enterprise edition that gives priority support, training, and updates to businesses that actually depend on this framework and it's progress.

Take a look at docker, or gitlab, they have an EE and a CE.

Just my two cents.