We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Too many negative votes

This post has too many negative votes. The cause of this could be:

• Irrelevant or controversial information
  • Confusing question or not a real question
  • Aggressive vocabulary, excessive rudeness, etc

How sturdy would you say Phalcon is already?

This is something I ask myself as a developer, and I'm pretty damn sure many people who want's to use it for a real production project would like to know as well.

¿Is Phalcon capable of handling a real production project already?

That's the real question. We all can tell that Phalcon has been growing up since it's first launch, but nowadays we'd like to see a real big projec(as well as a cool team) backing up Phalcon's name, because when I recomend Phalcon to my partners the question that comes out is: How do we know that Phalcon is not going throw everything out when the application starts to grow because of a weird Phalcon's bug? How do we know that is not going to be a pain in the ass to take care of scaling?

I'd like to know some opinions in order to feel sure of my possible decisions with it. Thanks a lot though

We are not a cool team, we are just nerds working hard to build something great, if this is not enough there isn't so much else we can do.

Also, you're assuming that Phalcon is not being used at any real production website application, do you think only this forum runs with Phalcon?

It has been developed and matured for several months and years, write a stable piece of C software is not that easy as you may think, the amount of bugs is not that exagerated, it's normal as any other software used by people.

Also, answering the last question, you don't scale a framework, you scale an architecture, build scalable applications depend on architectural decisions not on which framework or language did you choose.

My two cents.

Bingo!!

I mean, I completely agree about that though, I know what you mean, but I guess we could see it from another perspective, in terms of bussiness, who are the decisions takers? and what they look for?

I'm pretty sure they also look for what I said before, a BIG project backing up it's technology. Even though we as developers(including myself) always look for newer and coolest tools.

About scaling, I think the framework and it's components should be scalable and maintainable as well, because when you build a complex application sooner or later problems will come out, and of course it matters how easy will be to solve those problems. Otherwise they will try the migrate all their technologies.

edited Mar '14

I don't see the point of "you must be using the coolest tools of the moment", are you sure they are going to be cool forever? Are you going to rewrite your applications every six months when an even cooler tool/language/framework comes out? Is that important to you?, I prefer to use a robust tool rather than the hyped tool of the moment. But if that is important to you, good luck with that!

It has always seemed curious to me how people easily omits everything we have achieved by working so long and so hard, from one moment to another, people start demanding massive requests like that about software that works just fine and they are receiving for free. "It's important to me that at least one phalcon-powered and ultra-popular application with 100 millions of user do exist so I'll be sure that my application will work". Really?

Almost one year ago, everyone was saying us "nobody would use Phalcon, it's a bad idea and nobody will care about you". Today there are hundreds of developers using it and the number is growing. "No one will help you, no one is going to work on your crazy ideas." Today we have so many contributors. "If you are using C you're going to make a mistake every 3 lines of code and your computer will explode". It didn't happen right. Phalcon today is trusted by many developers.

Some tools are built and sponsored by big companies. For us it is twice as hard to compete with established companies or projects, but we're still doing it, our motivations are bigger than money or fame. With very few resources and time we have made so much progress and we are very proud of it.

edited Mar '14

This is an OPEN SOURCE project. You're not happy with something, try and make it better, and help the project evolve... If you want to go "enterprise", sure, i am more than sure that any of the guys from the core team would enjoy being paid for something they already do from pleasure. And really now, besides that.. why do you think there are so many TESTING tools out there? Test first, debug, contact the team for any eventual bugs inside the framework, create patches or whatever, and then deploy. There's no such thing as "out of the box", when it comes to developing LARGE apps. Anywhere you see that, it's just marketing or something. This framework is just a set of means to achieve goals, the way i see it. The ways you use those means matters the most, after all, and that's up to you. And besides, what's there stopping you from trying this out ? just the fact that it's c?! That should not be a problem, really now, in an enterprise environment. If performance is your concern. I personally think that there is no better way of doing things, and the least we can do is submit bug reports/pull requests.

Cheers,

Alex.

i think he has a valid point. you should first have a really well defined business logic. in my opinion if you are afraid of bugs then you are afraid of testing, which will make it impossible to relate to a "stable" version of your environment. without restating what phalcon said, i think you might get negative feedback for this question because most people here aren't really looking for a "fast way out" you know ? cheers