We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Docker Phalcon Beanstalkd worker

I'm wondering if somebody already experimented with a docker container that watches a beanstalkd using phalcon and execute some work and is willing to share some code. Thinking about creating a container that I can easily scale when needed but would love to get some ideas how to setup this image.

edited Oct '17

Yes I do. For docker I used two containers, once for beanstalkd the other one for the console. This are the images I've used in my docker-compose:

queue:
restart: always
image: phalconphp/beanstalkd:1.10
container_name: beanstalk
ports:

• "11300:11300"
    volumes:
  • beanstalk:/var/lib/beanstalkd

beanstalk_console:
    restart: always
    image: agaveapi/beanstalkd-console
    container_name: beanstalk_console
    ports:

• "5556:80"
    depends_on:
  • queue
    env_file:
  • variables.env

For beanstalk inside phalcon I've written a module, using cli interface for executing the queue workers and integrating the Incubator beanstalk extension.

Sadly, beanstalkd is deprecated project. So I hesitate to use it in a production (new projects) like I used to... still it is very neat MQ broker.

edited Oct '17

AWS is still proposing beanstalk and it is still working well. What do you suggest for replacing it? I think at the moment, even for new projects, beanstalk remain the best solution for integrating queues in phalcon, but we can start watching and working on wrappers for other systems..

I think we should implement in incubator or in core at least 2 other queues mostly used - redis and rabbit mq.

Rabbit MQ to start with. Any MQ solution which is current - and supported.

AWS is still proposing beanstalk and it is still working well. What do you suggest for replacing it? I think at the moment, even for new projects, beanstalk remain the best solution for integrating queues in phalcon, but we can start watching and working on wrappers for other systems..

@ruudboon How have you structured logging with queues? I think logs are one of the most critical part when using asyncronous queues and they are the weak part of my implementation.

edited Nov '17

@cosimo I outputting to the stdout that can easily read by docker. At this point I use beanstalk to easily offload heavy work (Generate PDF's). I write the final status (succes/failed etc) in the database. And thnx for the docker code!