We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Problem with update and relationship

Hi I have a form with only few properties of a model, and I want that model only update these fields.

I made this update call

return $chapter->update($chapter, [
                'name', 'number', 'subNumber', 'visibility', 'teams'
]);

to update only these listed fields (teams is the alias of a relationship)

My problem is, when I update the model, I have a message saying createdAt is required. This createdAt is not in the Form, so there is no value for this, okay, but I don't want to update it, I didn't list it in the whitelist.

To test I dleted the NotNull on the column and It "worked", but the field is now NULL ...

Other problem is, I have another column deleted is set to NULL too.

I don't understand this problem...

edit : After some tests, I saw that the relationships teams recreate a new line in the joint table each updates. ..

Here is how the relationship is declared

In Chapter.php

$this->hasManyToMany(
            'id',
            ChapterTeams::class,
            'chapterId',
            'teamsId',
            Teams::class,
            'id',
            [
                'alias' => 'Teams'
            ]
);

in Teams.php

$this->hasManyToMany(
            'id',
            'teamsId',
            'chapterId',
            ChapterTeams::class,
            'id'
        );

in ChapterTeams.php

$this->setSource('chapter_teams');

$this->belongsTo(
            'chapterId',
            Chapter::class,
            'id'
        );
        $this->belongsTo(
            'teamsId',
            'id'
        );

I don't understand how this can work like that ...

Edit 2 : Now I try to delete the existing relationship with $chapter->teams->delete() but it doesn't do anything (return false and no messages in $chapter->teams->getMessages()) So I'm completely stuck, the relation is duplicated each update (I added a unique constraint on the both fields to prevent that and I now have a fatal error).

I don't understand how to handle the relations in Phalcon and the docs is pretty poor about that.

Phalcon seems poor with its built-in ORM/ODM, If every request need to be done in pure SQL to be correct and/or to be working, There is no interest in that.

Edit 3 : So to resume all my problems how to handle update model with relationship (with a "relation table") (the relation is mangaed with a multi select in a Form) :

• Do I need to delete the relationship (in 3rd table) and then re add them ? in this case, how to delete the relation ?
  • is there a way that automatically handle addition/deletion in relationship ? Like, I get my object (Chapter) that have one or more Teams. in the Form, the multiselect is filled with existing teams in Chapter. When I submit the form, automatically watch the ChapterTeams relationship and add/delete if needed (if the relation already exist, nothing to do).

Thanks in advance to help me with this, it's completely blocking for my app ^^"

Accepted
answer
edited Dec '17

I never liked how phalcon handles all relation creation/update stuff - just do it yourself, like create transaction, create ChapterTeams instances yourself and commit transaction or rollback if any creation fails.

Hmm, Ok, I'll see how to do that by myself. I assume I'll need to do "plain SQL" but I don't really have a choice there.

I'll just do a manual deletion of relationships in joint table, as when I save Phalcon try to save all the relation.

Thanks a lot, but I think ORM and ODM need a bot of rework maybe, the only problems I got are related to these two ^^"