We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Case insensitive findBy*?

Hi all,

Is there a way to allow the findBy* to be case insensitive? For example, if I have Users::findByEmail('[email protected]') it'll find a result but Users::findByEmail('[email protected]') won't find a result.

Is there some kind of setting, or filtering, or something that can be applied as and when required to be case insensitive, or would it just be easier to re-write the find line to use PHQL to do it more manually?

Cheers,

Andy

Accepted
answer
edited Apr '18

Thats depending on your table collation.

SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'YOUR_TABLE_NAME'

It's utf8mb4_bin which I'm assuming is forcing it to be a case sensitive search on the MySQL side? :-/

If that's the case then it looks like a little rewrite is in order for my code. :-D

Hi,

It's utf8mb4_bin which I'm assuming is forcing it to be a case sensitive search on the MySQL side? :-/

yes so far I understand: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3936967/mysql-case-insensitive-select

Just to follow up on this in case anyone else is interested; yes, it was definitely the utf8mb4_bin collation that was the issue for me. For the fields where I wanted to ensure a case insensitive search I changed that to utf8mb4_general_ci - even though the table itself remained with the *_bin collation. This allowed me to have case insensitive where I didn't care, case sensitive where I did (like generated codes I wanted to match exactly), and not have to change any code.