We are moving our forum in GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4 you can visit here and for Phalcon v5 here.

Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

Session Variables Not Available to Volt after 4.0 Upgrade?

I'm upgrading a product from Phalcon 3.4.5 to 4.0. In 3.4.5, I create a session and set some session variable, such as the user's name and email address. I am then able to acess the session variables in my volt files like:

{% if session is defined and session.get('user').id is defined %}
    {% set support_full_name = session.get('user').first_name ~ ' ' ~ session.get('user').first_name  %}
    {% set support_email  = session.get('user').email %}
{% endif %}

After updating to Phalcon 4.0 I am unable to access the session variables in my volt files. "session" is not defined at all.

I'm creating the session in index.php using this code:

$di->set('session', function() use ($di) {
    $session = new Phalcon\Session\Manager();
    $files = new Phalcon\Session\Adapter\Stream();
    $session->setAdapter($files)->start();
    return $session;
});

And I'm setting the session data using:

$session->set('user', (object) array(
        'id' => $user->id,
        'email' => $user->email,
        'first_name' => $user->first_name,
        'last_name' => $user->last_name,
    ));

I have verified that the session data is created and data is set. I can access the session data in my PHP files and I've dumped the data and it is set.

I've searched and can't find anything obvious, so I assume I'm suffering from "Excessive Bark up My Nose Syndrome". I'm hoping someone can help me see what I can't see.

Am I missing something that I have to do in 4.0 to make the session data accessible to Volt?

Accepted
answer
edited Feb '20

OK, I understand the issue now.

In the 3.4.5 version of the code, I never used "if session is defined". Apparently I thought I was being smart by adding that check to see if I had ANY session data. My 3.4.5 version just had:

{% if session.has('user').id is defined %}

And that works in both 3.4.5 and 4.0.

So the issue is I can't check to see is "session" as a whole has been defined in ether release.

So, yeah, probably a "feature" and not a "bug" at this point! :D

But good to know for future coding.