We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

PHP8 ready?

I think PHP8 will be coming soon, but is the latest versions of Phalcon4 & Phalcon3 compatible with PHP8? Or are we waiting for a new version?

Phalcon is compiled with Zephir, here is a dev checklist about what is still needed for it to work:

https://github.com/phalcon/zephir/pull/2113

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what that page means. It seems to be a checklist when sending a pull request, so it seems that the purpose is different from the support for PHP8. The linked # 2111 also feels like a preparatory stage for PHP8 support, and I can't tell if it's started, progressing, or complete. Can you tell me a little more concretely to me, who has a poor understanding?

Phalcon is compiled with Zephir, here is a dev checklist about what is still needed for it to work:

The next version of Phalcon (v5) is going to be PHP8 compatible. There is no planned release date yet, but we are working to get it ready by the end of the year.

You can find more info on this here: https://youtu.be/sySGEJVLJcU?t=470

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what that page means. It seems to be a checklist when sending a pull request, so it seems that the purpose is different from the support for PHP8. The linked # 2111 also feels like a preparatory stage for PHP8 support, and I can't tell if it's started, progressing, or complete. Can you tell me a little more concretely to me, who has a poor understanding?

Thank you very much. I don't speak English as my mother tongue, so I could only understand what was written in the letters. You can't continue developing Zehir, so v5 will be reborn as purePHP. It will be easier to install, but the overwhelming speed was one of the attractions of Phalcon, so it's pretty disappointing to lose it.

edited Sep '20

I got thanks for sharing. Why do not to create good apps for smartphones too? I decided to make my one too. I am interested in food ordering apps. Yesterday I checked cool guide about how to create a food ordering app and new courier service business ideas and will follow it. It is profitable idea during pandemic.

I think Phalcon had a speed advantage over other frameworks because of the extension offering. Since I chose Phalcon with speed as my top priority, I feel that its benefits are likely to be lost in the near future. I would like someone to tell me what are the differences and advantages over other frameworks that are preserved when Phalcon becomes pure PHP.

edited Sep '20

Performance is and will be our priority. Popular frameworks tries to make more sugar as possible, where performance is start to decay.

There are already some approaches that we are trying:

1. Separate code into small peaces, where you will include only what you need via composer. Some sort of independant components
  2. Detailed code benchmarking
  3. History of benchmarks to make sure that new release won't decrease performance
  4. Easy to extend, by using PSR, it was already introduces in v4, but not all parts of PSR is suported

I'm glad to hear a good story. Pure PHP makes it easier to install, and if PHPDoc is well written, we won't even need stubs. (I'm glad that what kind of parameters can be specified and what kind of result will be obtained. Since it is scattered and unclear in the current manual etc.)

If a detailed benchmark is released, it would be nice to have a comparison with other major frameworks.

Speaking of PSR, I would like the ability to generate paths (for .js, .css, etc.) according to the namespace. There is no need to completely separate using modules, but I think that there are many situations where there are many files and layering is necessary, so in such cases it would be nice if routing and view/layouts could follow well. Currently, routing needs to define all the presence or absence of controller name and action name (I think that if there is no corresponding one, it should be treated as a parameter), layouts is the controller name excluding namespace.

Performance is and will be our priority. Popular frameworks tries to make more sugar as possible, where performance is start to decay.

There are already some approaches that we are trying:

1. Separate code into small peaces, where you will include only what you need via composer. Some sort of independant components
  2. Detailed code benchmarking
  3. History of benchmarks to make sure that new release won't decrease performance
  4. Easy to extend, by using PSR, it was already introduces in v4, but not all parts of PSR is suported