We are moving our forum in GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4 you can visit here and for Phalcon v5 here.

Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

Missing library for installation, issue with OS X?

When I type

sudo ./install

in Terminal on OS X, I get the following error saying I am missing the libintl.h library.

/Users/xxx/cphalcon/build/64bits/phalcon.c:108409:10: fatal error: 'libintl.h' file not found

(HASH)include libintl.h

4 warnings and 1 error generated.

make: *** [phalcon.lo] Error 1

Relevant Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11370684/what-is-libintl-h-and-where-can-i-get-it Quote from best answer: "Since you're using Mac OS X, a Google search for "libintl.h OSX" shows a lot of people having similar problems."

When I try to install the relevant Debian package as shown below, brew cannot find the library. I can't use apt-get or yum because I am on OS X.

xxx-air:~ xxx$ brew install libc6-dev

Error: No available formula for libc6-dev

One comment from Stack Overflow says: "When packages are looking for this file, install or build the GNU gettext package. This packages "installs" ${prefix}/include/libintl.h, among other things." And another contributor follows up: "Possibly helpful since OP is on OS X, though doesn't specify if he is using Homebrew: I've seen some builds fail to find libintl despite gettext being installed -- I had to brew link gettext to resolve it."

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Joe

Accepted
answer

brew sucks, only the Ruby fans use it. Use MacPorts. Install gettext and php55-gettext and you'll be fine.

sudo port install gettext
sudo port install php55-gettext

Thanks for your help! I installed MacPorts and with it installed gettext and php55-gettext as you said. That all worked very nicely.

I am still getting the same error when I try to install Phalcon PHP though. I wonder if this libintl.h file is really in gettext? Or am I not linking to it correctly?

Thank you,

Joe

edited Jul '14

This is what I see when I do a locate libintl:

/opt/local/include/libintl.h
/opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libintl.a
/opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libintl.la
/opt/local/share/awk/libintl.awk
/opt/local/share/gettext/intl/libintl.rc
/opt/local/share/gettext/libintl.jar
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/games/ltris/files/patch-libintl.diff
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/perl/p5-libintl-perl
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/perl/p5-libintl-perl/Portfile
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/sysutils/apt/files/use-libintl.diff

And this is my PATH:

PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/share/phalcon-tools:/usr/local/bin

Are you using gcc? Check if you have gcc48 installed and libgcc with port installed | grep gcc.

edited Jul '14

I did not have gcc48 installed, so I installed it. "port installed | grep gcc" now produces:

xxx-air:build xxx$ port installed | grep gcc

gcc48 @4.8.2_2+universal (active)

gcc_select @0.1_8 (active)

libgcc @4.8.2_2+universal (active)

Now when I run "sudo ./install" I get:

:25792:no such instruction: `vcvtsi2sdq %rdx, %xmm0,%xmm0'

25793:no such instruction: `vmovsd %xmm0, (%rsi)'

26418:no such instruction: `vcvtsi2sd %edx, %xmm0,%xmm0'

26421:no such instruction: `vmulsd LC3037(%rip), %xmm0,%xmm0'

26422:no such instruction: `vmovsd %xmm0, (%rax)'

44027:no such instruction: `vmovsd (%rax), %xmm0'

44030:no such instruction: `vcvttsd2siq %xmm0, %rax'

make: *** [phalcon.lo] Error 1

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=t60utUuU

Thank you for your help, any ideas on where to go from here? This appears to be related: https://github.com/phalcon/cphalcon/issues/2233

Locate libintl produces:

/opt/local/include/libintl.h

/opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib

/opt/local/lib/libintl.a

/opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib

/opt/local/share/gettext/intl/libintl.rc

/opt/local/share/gettext/libintl.jar

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/games/ltris/files/patch-libintl.diff

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/perl/p5-libintl-perl

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/perl/p5-libintl-perl/Portfile

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/sysutils/apt/files/use-libintl.diff

/usr/local/MacGPG2/lib/libintl.8.dylib

/usr/local/MacGPG2/lib/libintl.dylib

edited Jul '14

Now can be a phpize problem. Please check the php, phpize and php55-config versions. Use which php to see the PHP you are using. Your /usr/bin/php should be a symlink to opt/local/bin/php55 and so phpize and php-config. The last ones are used to configure and compile every extension. If you type ls -al /usr/bin/ | grep php you should see:

lrwxr-xr-x     1 root   wheel        20 Jul  5 13:52 php -> /opt/local/bin/php55
lrwxr-xr-x     1 root   wheel        27 Jul 20 15:33 php-config -> /opt/local/bin/php-config55
lrwxr-xr-x     1 root   wheel        23 Jun 27  2013 phpize -> /opt/local/bin/phpize55

edited Jul '14

I don't use mac-ports. So for anyone that has osx and their own custom MAMP stack (not the proprietry product) using /usr/local/:

cd /usr/local/src
wget http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gettext/gettext-0.19.2.tar.xz
tar -zxvf gettext-0.19.2.tar.xz
cd gettext-0.19.2/
./configure
make
sudo make install

Be sure that you may need to use a different version than the one used in the example above.

I think first you can locate your libintl.h file in your system, generally speaking, you can find it by locate libintl.h After you find your source file, say <path>/libintl.h, you can simply make a link to /usr/local/include, which is a default search path for #include statement Good Luck