We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Contribute to Phalcon's new look [VOTE]

We're putting the final touches on the second major new release of Phalcon. Each new release brings with itself a new look highlighting the most important features of the framework and its present. This time we want to give the opportunity to community members to help us design the new look to be used in the Phalcon 2 lifecycle.

We're looking for an enthusiast graphic designer/agency/company who want to contribute a new look for Phalcon when version 2 is released.

If you want to participate, please submit your proposal here allowing the community to provide feedback.

Consider the following before submit the design:

• A cool design that permeates the love we feel for this framework <3
  • Show an "Everything you need" section showing the components provided by the framework in the main page
  • Show an "Our amazing contributors" section showing who is contributing to the project
  • Highlight Zephir as base language

Phalcon's official website has over 14,000 monthly visits and according to Alexa it's one of the 25.000 most visited websites in the world. By contributing with this design you can add a "Designed by" badge to the website referring customers and people interested in your work.

Please submit a screenshoot of your proposal in this thread before October 1st, 2014.

UPDATE: Time is over, vote your favorite design here

Thank you!

Bonus points if your end design is responsive :)

Interesting ,I'll talk with the team to see what we can do ^^

edited Aug '14

Looking forward to participate, thanks for the opportunity!

@phalcon A few questions:

The submission should be a live demo for a new main page and which other pages?

Blog and forum can receive layout proposals as well?

IE support can be 10+?

@cvsguimaraes Yes IE10+ is great.

For the moment we are locking at mocks i.e. pictures of how you feel the site should look. The blog/forum/builtwith/store would get the same header and footer where applicable. The more pages you can show in your mocks the better it would be!

Can we change or upgrade phalcon logo? Should be the same color schame?

How I do stuff on phalconphp only, or can I do with twitter bootstrap + angularjs + phalconphp?

And how should I send to you approve? Images and mockups first and then the files?

What kind of upgrade you have in mind?

Can we change or upgrade phalcon logo? Should be the same color schame?

Yeah, feel free to use any tools you want, phalcon is a must :)

Please post the images here as a comment to allow the community to provide feedback

Thanks

How I do stuff on phalconphp only, or can I do with twitter bootstrap + angularjs + phalconphp?

And how should I send to you approve? Images and mockups first and then the files?

edited Sep '14

there is a lot of translation errors in the website. One example, here https://phalcon.io/fr/ logging is translated to connexion which is completely wrong and misleading! and that's just one example!

You can join a translation team and help us to fix all those translation errors! https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/phalcon/

there is a lot of translation errors in the website. One example, here https://phalcon.io/fr/ logging is translated to connexion which is completely wrong and misleading! and that's just one example!

I've just requested a language (en_GB) if you could accept it :-)

You can join a translation team and help us to fix all those translation errors! https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/phalcon/

I 've just request a language (km_KH) if you could accept it.

Cheers Phalcon team!

Just wanted to say that despite the silence I'm still working in my proposal :) Unfortunelly, I've got very busy lately so I'll be able to post it near Oct 1st only...

My logo proposal.

edited Sep '14

Hey there Phalcon (!) Below the redesigned version of the homepage. Couple remarks:

1. The design assumes a new menu-tree structure (presented in the footer), currently there's 10 top-level menu items and it feels much too much :-)

2. The mountains in the header are to indicate the "peak-performance" of the framework. Hovering on the "fastest PHP framework" link - will trigger a HTML5 animation: the mountains will give place to a bar-chart ("Framework performance comparison").

3. The "Discove the wealth.." section would also be interactive (clicking on tags will make code excerpts popup on the right). After all, what better way to present the framework, than to show code samples people immediately fall in love with :-)

4. The sub-page layout will be derived from the initial homepage design.

5. The design could be based on Twitter Bootstrap 3.

I have to say I was in favor of "not messing around" with the logo and colors -- sticking to a logo and color scheme in my view shows maturity and stability of the project. But theoretic's logo redesign proposal just killed it !!! It's beautiful. If a decision will be made, I can easily incorporate it into the new homepage design.

edited Sep '14

Beautiful :-)

edited Sep '14

I really like it! Also the phalcon logo is very nice! It does however look like the logo for the Philadelphia Eagles (NFL Football team) and I really don't want the NFL knocking on our door.

Hey Nikolaos, I am trying really hard, but can't find any similarities :-)

Hmm you are right. I guess my mind went to the Eagles once I saw the feathers of the logo plus the color most likely was the one that made me think of it.

@Roberto, I like you design.

Love the design of the logo and website! Good work guys.

edited Oct '14

And here is the homepage with the new logo and colors. I just realized I missed out on Zephir (!), I wil add it to the final design, later on.

We loved Roberto's design. We also did something for the community, so here is our proposal.

Our ideas are:

• Get new users to know what PhalconPHP is all about on their first visit to the site.
  • Quick access to download the latest version of PhalconPHP.
  • Communicate the three main features on why PhalconPHP should be the framework of choice. We want everyone who visits the site to test it out.
  • Allow the community to choose the main page background (the current image is a placeholder).

We hope you like it! ^_^

Thanks.

edited Oct '14

Thanks Roberto and Max Castro! You did a nice job. And probably we will make it even better together.

The first thing i would like to emphasize is the ordering of information. While making the homepage layout it's extremely important to bring the most important things to the top and/or to the left. The less important the information is the more it can be moved lower / to the right.

With no doubt the Phalcon logo and main menu are number one, and they're obviously at the top. But the further layout is less obvious.

Personally i think that the number 2 should be a brief text about what Phalcon is (including a couple of words about Zephyr which was completely missed by Roberto and Max).

Number 3? Ok, a slideshow giving some more information about what Phalcon is and what it can. The word "Phalcon" is rather funny (PHP + Falcon), so why not playing this game some more times? It's phast. It's phlexible. It's phriendly. Et cetera.

Number 4 can reasonably be a longer list of features. The layout of block 4 could be more dense than now.

Number 5? Maybe placing here some info about hosting is a good idea.

Developpers/contributors are obviously for the rest of the homepage.

The complete sketches are below. Will appreciate any advice, critics and so on. Thanks in advance!

Default view

big image

Slide 2

big image

Slide 3

big image

Submenu opened

big image

Hello Devs and Designers!

Layouts presented here are great, I really like @Roberto concept and @theoretic refreshed typography of "phalcon" in logo. I want to suggest something - current logo in my opinion representing what phalcon really is - sharp, mountain-like (flat-designed feathers giving that impression) stable and of course falcon-fast framework. Maybe keep it that way? Logo of course can be redesigned, but with old idea of mountain-falcon? ;)

Only my point of look, common user, but I would love to see redesigned jagged bird :D

Generally logo shouldn't be complex, but phalcon as a tile example presenting very well and memorable:

edited Oct '14

Thanks CichyEll! Time for a small case study...

Current Phalcon logo has certain weak points which i tried to eliminate while doing my logo version. In order of importance (the upper are the most important):

1. A healthy and happy bird always has feathers which do not stick out too much. If they do so, the bird has definitively got some trouble. The bird who looses feathers is definitively in a BIG trouble.

2. A good logo is never too complex (not the case of current Phalcon logo).

3. The current phalcon bird is looking and moving in forward-down direction which means progress but negative menthal state (which logically combines with phalcon's disheveled look, oh poor bird!)

4. A trendy logo will be threated as eye candy only until it comes out of trend. The current logo uses a very trendy "flat triangle" approach which is now very popular (just look at default background for many Samsung phones and tabs).

What could be done to keep the current logo's trendy-sharp-triangled look while eliminating the most critical troubles?

1. Less complexity, more simplicity. And no stick out. Something like an origami bird could be a good idea (although very-very trendy again).

2. The bird could be re-oriented. A good idea is a phalcon who flies to the top-right direction (which means progress and positive menthal state).

Why doesn't my logo totally follow these suggestions? Because i'm not sure that Phalcon deserves a trendy (which authomatically means a short-lifetime) logo. In a couple of years the "flat triangle" look will for sure become outdated, and i want to believe that it will not be the case for the Phalcon project.

I personally don't like the playing with words that theoretic suggested. It's too much and can be confusing for non-native English speakers.

I like Roberto's idea of showing snippets of code beside the features list. Many frameworks offer similar functionalities but the way they do it is what makes them different! So showing sample code is a good idea. If people are not convinced by the performance they might be convinced by how the code looks like.

I agree the current logo is too complex and could use some rework but I think theoretic proposal is not quite there yet. The "font types" don't match, I think the text "phalcon" is way more delicate than the "feathered p". But I do like that fact that it's bolder and simpler.

I will try to put some ideas on canvas so you can comment on.

Personally, I like the Roberto logo (very much) and his version of the site is not bad, really.

edited Oct '14

/me thinks it's odd that a design that had <50 votes yesterday now has over 190

Thinking the same, very strange

/me thinks it's odd that a design that had <50 votes yesterday now has over 160

edited Oct '14

Umm, we asks people via our twitter to support us, but we didnt have less then 50 votes yesterday, @Phalcon you can check the db for that.

edited Oct '14

Most of your votes come from Dominican Republic, not sure if the Phalcon community is big there or whether results are in fact relevant to our community.

ALthough the votes may well be legitimate the poll is about the phalcon community and not your supporters which doesn't help represent the phalcon community IMO

edited Oct '14

Thats where our company is based . The community here its not as big, we are one of the only companies promoting the framework. We just ask for people to support us. I understand @Rewt0r postion . So I'm good with any position you take. Our goal is to help phalcon .

Thanks

I'm glad you understand what I'm saying as no offence was intended :-) it's however upto @phalcon what happens now.

I've checked the overall number of votes per country realtime, this is the result:

{
UNITED STATES: 103,
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: 70,
RUSSIAN FEDERATION: 58,
UKRAINE: 32,
FRANCE: 17,
UNITED KINGDOM: 16,
POLAND: 14,
GERMANY: 13,
BRAZIL: 12,
SPAIN: 11,
ARGENTINA: 11,
NETHERLANDS: 9,
JAPAN: 9,
CANADA: 7,
VIET NAM: 7,
COLOMBIA: 6,
TAIWAN, PROVINCE OF CHINA: 6,
SWITZERLAND: 6,
BELARUS: 6,
HUNGARY: 5,
TURKEY: 5,
CZECH REPUBLIC: 4,
AUSTRALIA: 4,
MALAYSIA: 4,
LATVIA: 4,
INDONESIA: 3,
AUSTRIA: 3,
MEXICO: 3,
HONDURAS: 3,
CHILE: 3,
HONG KONG: 3,
CAMBODIA: 2,
URUGUAY: 2,
ARUBA: 2,
SOUTH AFRICA: 2,
GREECE: 2,
UZBEKISTAN: 2,
SERBIA: 2,
NEW ZEALAND: 2,
KAZAKHSTAN: 2,
SWEDEN: 2,
BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA: 2,
CROATIA: 2,
LITHUANIA: 1,
SINT MAARTEN (DUTCH PART): 1,
AFGHANISTAN: 1,
KENYA: 1,
ITALY: 1,
KOREA, REPUBLIC OF: 1,
PORTUGAL: 1,
INDIA: 1,
ALBANIA: 1,
SLOVENIA: 1,
SUDAN: 1,
PUERTO RICO: 1,
DENMARK: 1,
GEORGIA: 1,
THAILAND: 1,
YEMEN: 1,
TAJIKISTAN: 1,
PERU: 1,
ISRAEL: 1,
BOLIVIA, PLURINATIONAL STATE OF: 1,
ROMANIA: 1,
ZIMBABWE: 1
}

Hey @phalcon thanks for the stats , like I said before I'm good with whatever Measure you want to take , I'm sorry for causing this problem and our only goal is to help phalcon , it's our framework of choice for all our project.

The beauty of statistics is that you can prove and disprove almost anything by biasing your sample. In this case if we take the number of people/developers based on a population basis of each country:

USA has the most people (around 310m) so it is at the top. Russia has 143m so it should be second etc. Dominican republic has 10m people and it is second.

This is what is called an oddity in statistics.

We had a similar situation when we tried to introduce Phalcon to cPanel. (see this post: https://www.niden.net/2013/06/voting-for-phalcon-as-cpanel-feature.html) Initially we were number 2 in the feature request list. But cPanel in all its wisdom decided to remove all the votes because they all came from the same source, which was our blog post. Now after all this time cPanel did release the module and it's great that they did but the point is that one single source of traffic does skew results.

I really don't want to take anything from Max's design, it is gorgeous and so are the other submitted designs. I really like the fact that Max and his company took the liberty of promoting Phalcon to the user base in DR. Kudos Sir!

I guess we need to talk about this and make a decision soon.

Never too late for reply, sorry ^^

theoretic thank you very much for this case study! I'm totally convinced now ( It's important to have an own opinion, but everybody should accept good arguments ;) ). Still not following new concept completely, but you've got the point that logo needs changes. And of course Phalcon is something out-of-the-crowd in PHP's world, so it deserve strong identity.

Sorry if my english limp somewhere.

edited Oct '14

As a Front-End Dev / UI Designer who couldn't participate because of lack of time (and because I just saw this post yesterday, dammit!) I have to say that @fogcity design is absolutely gorgeous!

Really like the color palette, arrangement of the content and landing view at the top. Really good work in terms of UX and UI.

Also, I would like to ask if there is space to logo contributions also, if so, maybe I try to contribute with some options. ( @theoretic logo proposal is really good too).

It's awesome ! Good job. Could you put this logo in vector file somewhere in web? I'd like to use it in my web proposal.

My logo proposal.

How is the new website coming along? Is it halted or you are still working on it?

I kept posting regularly checking on the status of this and continually checking the github repository for it but I've given up now.

How is the new website coming along? Is it halted or you are still working on it?

What's the deal with the new website? Haven't you guys noticed it's broken? A lot of images are using https://localhost as the base URL including the logo!

edited May '15

Agreed, the code-snippets part are also broken, most of them shows nothing when clicked. I would be glad to help fix those issues but my work is consuming me these days...

Still broken...

Agreed, the code-snippets part are also broken, most of them shows nothing when clicked. I would be glad to help fix those issues but my work is consuming me these days...

edited Sep '15

Is anyone working on this at all?

Could someone also remove the image from Roberto's post as it's now password protected...

Accepted
answer

Design was changed in march when Phalcon 2.0 was released.

@andresgutierrez I was referring to the code snippets on the homepage. All basic features work but the rest do not. (Data & Storage, Views & Frontend and Others)

Design was changed in march when Phalcon 2.0 was released.

I think they are waiting collaboration from the community to get completed: https://github.com/phalcon/website