I suggest separating Volt template engine to be separated to an independent sister project. This has a lot of pros without any significant cons.
- A lot of users think plain PHP is good enough in templates.
- SPAs do not need a PHP template engine at all.
- The development team can concentrate on core framework features.
- Documentation/Issues become cleaner and more friendly
- Vold can be considered to be used with other frameworks as well (Similar to Twig which is distriubted as an extension in addition to php code).
- a templae engine neutral framework that can be easily be ingretated with any template engines seems more flexible and attractive.