We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

How to use Phalcon Model to build this simple SQL query? SELECT ... WHERE concat(....) = ...

Hi, I have been using straight SQL for years but decided to give ORM a try in a current project.

I have two fields in a table, together they form a user identification code.

With plain PDO, I would write:

SELECT * FROM user WHERE concat(user_prefix,user_code) = :identification

Then bind :

$statement->bindValue(':identification', $value, \PDO::PARAM_STR);

How do I do this in Phalcon\Model?

Okay, I figured out how to create a vanilla PDO::statement in Phalcon.

$connection = \Phalcon\DI::getDefault()->get('db');
$statement = $connection->prepare('SELECT * FROM user WHERE concat(user_prefix,user_code) = :identification');
$statement->bindValue(':identification', $value, \PDO::PARAM_STR);
$statement->execute();
$result = $statement->fetch(\PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);

It gives me associative array as in vanilla PDO.

However, I like how ORM handles CRUD with the Model class.

Question #2: is there a easy way to construct a Phalcon\Mvc\Model from above statement?

Add on to question #2, I am looking at the document here:

https://docs.phalcon.io/en/latest/reference/phql.html#using-raw-sql
If Raw SQL queries are common in your application a generic method could be added to your model:

But I can't figure out how to adapt the example code. Can anyone help?

Accepted
answer
edited Mar '15

Provided you're not using the Micro framework you can generally access the models manager service and execute a query like

$sql = 'SELECT * FROM user WHERE concat(user_prefix,user_code) = :identification:');
$getUser = $this->getDI()->get('modelsManager')->executeQuery($sql, ['identification' => $value])->getFirst();
if($getUser){
    //found - instance of model
} else {
    //not found
}

Just remember that when you're doing PHQL you reference mapped columns and model names, not literal SQL/NoSQL table names.

Provided you're not using the Micro framework you can generally access the models manager service and execute a query like

$sql = 'SELECT * FROM user WHERE concat(user_prefix,user_code) = :identification:');
$getUser = $this->getDI()->get('modelsManager')->executeQuery($sql, ['identification' => $value])->getFirst();
if($getUser){
   //found - instance of model
} else {
   //not found
}

Just remember that when you're doing PHQL you reference mapped columns and model names, not literal SQL/NoSQL table names.

Thanks man! I just figured out about the same. PHQL is the only way to do it.

At first I tried to avoid PHQL because of the performance impact. The above statement took 100ms more than straight PDO. 100ms in total 600ms page load time is a lot. However, this is probably the necessary burden to use a framework.