We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Web based GPS tracking with Phalcon

I have GPS devices that needs to be installed to keep track of the fleet.

I want to build a web based platform with Phalcon where I can monitor the position of the car installed with GPS.

Assuming the GPS device is already installed, How can I monitor the map location of my car, whether idle or running using a Phalcon?

Is there a Phalcon based fleet management platform or will this be the first?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

looks like an interesting project.

How do you receive gps positions from your fleet vehicles ?

Yes it is an interesting project. Am using a GPS device that has GPRS module thus receiving positions through GSM data and sms network :-).

To refine my question, I will assume the GPS device can be configured with an IP address. How can I listen for TCP connections, and store the data received in the Database using Ajax

Hi,

I do not have any experience in that domain, but I assumme that first, you have to know wich protocol your mobile gps device will use to send data over the network.

edited Apr '16

The approach you took is quite infantile. You must realize how this things can work together. Phalcon is "just" a framework built on top of PHP. PHP is as you already know - server side language, so it runs on server. Next, you have your GPS devices installed in vehicles, which send some data back via GPRS network. Here's the key - you must provide information where that data is being stored and in which format they are presented? I wil make (wrong) assumption here that such data is nicely formatted JSON string, and you can choose endpoint where they'll hit some server in order to be stored in a database. If you manage to make this proof of concept work, just then you can start to build back-edn API with Phalcon to consume that data. And then you build your application, nice looking front-end etc etc. In short - good luck if you haven't done such projects before. For insance, I did lots of crazy things with PHP, like reading low-level protocols from remote devices (micro controllers) etc.