We are moving our forum in GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4 you can visit here and for Phalcon v5 here.

Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

WAMP install problem (solved), but what is NTS?

Hi all,

I was preparing the post below as I struggled to set up Phalcon and discovered this post http://forum.phalcon.io/discussion/2195/how-to-trouble-shoot-installation-problem and found the solution also solved my problem. I am continuing to post this just in case others face the same problem and also to understand if anyone can explain why Phalcon 1.2.6 - Windows x86 for PHP 5.4.0 (VC9) worked for me but Phalcon 1.2.6 - Windows x86 for PHP 5.4.0 NTS (VC9) didn't (i.e. why did the file without NTS work, what is the difference?). I would hope this might help others choose the right package if the difference is more obvious to beginners like myself, setting up on a commonly used environment such as WAMP.

Original question:

I have a wamp installation and it shows this error in the apache error log when it starts up:

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'c:/wamp/bin/php/php5.4.16/ext/php_phalcon.dll' - The specified module could not be found.\r\n in Unknown on line 0

My phpinfo() shows: Compiler MSVC9 (Visual C++ 2008)

I downloaded and tried archives: Phalcon 1.2.6 - Windows x86 for PHP 5.3.9 NTS (VC9) and Phalcon 1.2.6 - Windows x86 for PHP 5.4.0 NTS (VC9) extracting the file to C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.4.16\ext

Added extension=php_phalcon.dll to the very bottom of both C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.4.16\php.ini and C:\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.4.4\bin\php.ini

Sadly when I restarted all services from the WAMP icon I got the error shown above.

Running windows 7 32-bit WAMP: Apache Version 2.4.4, PHP Version 5.4.16

Accepted
answer

There are two builds: thread-safe, and NTS (non-thread-safe version).

here is a nice explanation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1623914/what-is-thread-safe-or-non-thread-safe-in-php