We are moving our forum in GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4 you can visit here and for Phalcon v5 here.

Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

Volt and many to many - output

Hello again,

I begin to fall in love with Phalcon O:)

But I've got a little problem. I cannot get the idea of how to access fields from a many to many relationship in Volt-output.

I've got two tables: 'persons' and 'names'. I've got a third table named 'persons_lastnames' (yes, and another one 'persons_firsnames').

Now I wanted to show a table of all stored persons - I created one with phpmyadmin for the test. The models were all created by Phalcon-Dev-Tools (phalcon all-models --relations).

PersonsController: public function indexAction() { $this->view->title = 'LIST'; $this->view->persons = Persons::find(); }

index.volt: ... <tbody> {% for person in persons %} <tr> <td>{{person.id}}</td> <td>{{person.persons_lastnames.name}}</td> ...

The fields from Person are shown, but for the many-to-many-fields I got errors: Notice: Access to undefined property Persons::persons_lastnames in C:\xampp\htdocs\slipbox\app\cache\c__xampp_htdocs_slipbox_app_views_persons_index.volt.php on line 23

So next error is clear: Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\slipbox\app\cache\c__xampp_htdocs_slipbox_app_views_persons_index.volt.php on line 23

In the documentation I cannot find the clue how to access the variable. Do I have to make another Query in the model? Thaught Phalcon does the needed things automatically?!

Thanks a lot - again Aljoscha

By doing this in index.volt I get the ID of the name, but I want the name O:) ... <td>{{person.id}}</td> <td> {%for lastname in person.PersonsLastnames%} {{lastname.names_id}} {% endfor %} </td> ...

Accepted
answer
edited Jun '14

All should work if you got your Model relations properly set up.

There's a discrepancy in the snippets (which are a bit hard to read btw.. :P ;)) you're giving; persons_lastnames vs PersonsLastnames

Deleted all models and let Phalcon-Dev-Tools create them again. Now everything works fine, using:

{% for lastname in person.PersonsLastnames %} {{lastname.Names.name}} {% endfor %}

Thanks alot!

edited Jun '14

@AljoschaPeters

When you post code in your coments, try to always use this sintax:

```phalcon
    #your code here

Example:

```bash
 ```phalcon
 $this->session->get("username");

Becomes:

```phalcon
$this->session->get("username");

This way your code get automatically highlighted and becames easier for everyone to understand it. :)