We are moving our forum in GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4 you can visit here and for Phalcon v5 here.

Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

make: *** [phalcon.lo] Error 1

This has probably been posted a countless number of times but I'm going to post it again. I recently just purchase a 512MB Droplet from DO and I can't install Phalcon.

Here is the error:

/bin/bash /root/cphalcon/build/64bits/libtool --mode=compile gcc  -I. -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits/include -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits/main -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits -I/usr/include/php5 -I/usr/include/php5/main -I/usr/include/php5/TSRM -I/usr/include/php5/Zend -I/usr/include/php5/ext -I/usr/include/php5/ext/date/lib  -DPHALCON_RELEASE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -O2 -finline-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -fvisibility=hidden   -c /root/cphalcon/build/64bits/phalcon.c -o phalcon.lo 
libtool: compile:  gcc -I. -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits/include -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits/main -I/root/cphalcon/build/64bits -I/usr/include/php5 -I/usr/include/php5/main -I/usr/include/php5/TSRM -I/usr/include/php5/Zend -I/usr/include/php5/ext -I/usr/include/php5/ext/date/lib -DPHALCON_RELEASE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O2 -finline-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -fvisibility=hidden -c /root/cphalcon/build/64bits/phalcon.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/phalcon.o
gcc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make: *** [phalcon.lo] Error 1

I have tried setting the ulimit, I have tried both 32bit and 64bit. Any ideas on how to make it work?

It looks like you don't have enough memory. You could look for a pre-compiled version (yum, for example).

If that fails, ask for help from DO.

I searched continously for a pre-compiled version but I couldn't find one. I'll try and ask them for help, thanks!

Which operating system are you using by DO?

Ubuntu 14.04

Can't you try compiling on a local Ubuntu machine, and copying the apache extension over to DO?

I guess I could do that. Would it have to be the exact version, 14.04? Right now I'm running 12.04 LTS on home computer.

You could install 14.04 in a VM, if you don't want to force an upgrade.

I'll go try it out, thanks for support!

No problem. Don't forget to share the results!

Just remembered I have gone over internet data limit and can't download the ISO...

Accepted
answer

Oh, bad luck! Time to visit a friend ;-)

edited Jul '14

This happens because the VPS does not have enough memory to compile Phalcon. Try this to change the GCC limits in the VPS: http://hostingfu.com/article/compiling-with-gcc-on-low-memory-vps

I had this problem and I just increased the memory of my virtual machine (vagrant) and it solved the problem.