We are moving our forum in GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4 you can visit here and for Phalcon v5 here.

Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

How to use rowCount or affectedRows in PhalconPHP ?

I have 2 lines of code that deletes some data from the database:

$del_cust_recipe = $this->connection->prepare("DELETE FROM custom_ingredients_to_recipe WHERE owner_id=:owner_id AND recipe_id=:recipe_id"); $res_cust_recipe = $this->connection->executePrepared($del_cust_recipe,array('owner_id'=>$this->user_id,'recipe_id'=>$recipe_id), array('owner_id' => \Phalcon\Db\Column::TYPE_INTEGER,'recipe_id' => \Phalcon\Db\Column::TYPE_INTEGER));

It works, but I would like to know how many rows are being affected. I have tried testing for $res_cust_recipe->rowCount() or $res_cust_recipe->affectedRows() but both lead to a method not known error.

Just testing with if($res_cust_recipe) {} wouldn't cut it, as this also returns true when the affected rows are 0. Which it should: the query was succesful, so...

However I need to vary my code based on the amount of rows affected.

Are these PDO methods (rowCount and affectedRows) just not available in PhalconPHP ?

Thanks for your help, Alex

Accepted
answer
edited Nov '14

Normally they should be available because the executePrepared method returns a \PDOStatement object of PHP.

I just tried it in a test environment and it works. I got the correct number of deleted records with rowCount() method.

BTW: Can you try to format you code with the code syntax? It's a bit hard to read and variables are different ($delcustrecipe => $del_custrecipe).

You are right, not sure why I couldn't get it to work earlier... Thanks!

Something else has popped up though, which I think must be some sort of bug, not sure whether it's Phalcon or PDO (couldn't find it when Googling). Or it's just my bad. I believe it is a separate issue though, have posted it therefore here:

http://forum.phalcon.io/discussion/4107/potential-phalcon-bug-or-is-pdo-my-code-to-blame